My competition in training or a race is not all the other runners - my competition is that little voice in my head that tells me I should quit.
For truly I say to you, if you have faith as a grain of mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, move from here to there, and it will move; and nothing will be impossible to you. Matthew 17:20 NRSV

Thursday, February 25, 2010

Three and a Gift

I have heard many veteran runners say, "the first two miles are the hardest" .  Well I think that is why in my head I always stop at 2 because it is in fact "hard" for me and I want it to be over!  Well, today, thanks to all the stuff going on in my head which preoccupied me, the olympics being on television and some awesome music on my ipod, I decided...what if, I just do it today? Go the extra mile, let's see if everyone is right.  And it is true folks! I really think when I hit 3, I could have gone on to 4, but didn't want to risk an injury, soreness for my workouts over the next few days.

I have to share with you all a gift that was given  to me yesterday.  I was thinking about my grandfather a lot yesterday and really missing him.  This happens on occasion and I go on with my day, but yesterday for some reason I thought about him more and was having a hard time with it.  So, I go to Wednesday night church and the closing hymn is "Just A Closer Walk With Thee" .  This song is one my favorites because my Grandpa used to play this on the organ and keyboard, we used to play and sing it together.  I had a hard time making it through the whole song without tears.  Coincidence or Gift from God? Definitely, Gift from God, God is so Good! It was a great ending to my day.

Just a closer walk with Thee,
Grant it, Jesus, is my plea,
Daily walking close to Thee,
Let it be, dear Lord, let it be.

I am weak, but Thou art strong;
Jesus, keep me from all wrong;
I’ll be satisfied as long
As I walk, let me walk close to Thee.

Through this world of toil and snares,
If I falter, Lord, who cares?
Who with me my burden shares?
None but Thee, dear Lord, none but Thee.

When my feeble life is o’er,
Time for me will be no more;
Guide me gently, safely o’er
To Thy kingdom shore, to Thy shore.



  • 3 mile run at 4.5 :)

1 comment:

Beth@playinwiththepaulsens! said...

very cool post. makes me miss my grandpa too.